Tuesday, December 14, 2004

late night navigation

I was told to make major decisions in a cemetery...

I figure we get caught up with problems because we think that they're going to have catastrophic repercussions, and that there is a chance that the world might fall apart if (God forbid) we push the wrong button, we let go of the wrong person, we say yes to right person, buy the wrong house, accept the wrong job... blargh blargh blargh..

And then I'm in the car driving down the M4 today and I realise that it really is too easy for God to fix up whatever it is we might have stuffed up.

I mean... he can't control our decisions. And it's true that we make bad ones sometimes. But I truly believe that He's watching over us, just wanting the best for us. So do we think He would leave us for dead? I guess the point is, God wouldn't...

So about that quote on top of this entry... making major decisions in a cemetery... I didn't always agree with that piece of advice, but today it sits well with my conscience and feeling, because in the presence of those who've passed away, we are aware that we too will one day do the same. And we may spend too much time worrying, regretting, hurting, pondering, wishing and wanting - when really, God entrusted us with a life that he'd like us to be LIVING.

Those who spend too much time looking in the rear-view mirror end up in a car accident. No matter how smooth, rough, pot-holed or forked our roads may be - to travel safely, we not only have to be paying attention to the direction in which we're going, but also be humble enough to slide to the passenger seat and let Jesus take hold of the wheel.

Who else would have better idea of the best routes to take?


I figure during this Christmas season... it's not so much the gifts we wrap or the cards we write - but the way we acknowledge that a little baby was born, so we might enjoy the life he died to save.
Peace on Earth... =)

No comments: