Saturday, November 18, 2006

lettuce in my box

In bed with pink stripey pyjama pants and grey colorado jumper. It's not exactly cold and it's not exactly hot either. Wish the weather would get sorted, because I'm seriously over Winter. This week was monumental in that I had to wear a scarf on Thursday. I've never worn a scarf in November... but it seems to be the month of all new experiences.

One of the staff at the place I study thinks this wacky weather is one sure sign the world might end any day. I'm not into trying to predict the end of the world though, so I'll just stick to the reasoning that we (and all other previous generations) have treated this world like crap and as are copping droughts, snow and bushfires (all within one week) as a result.

Today was McHappy day. Lunched with Eddoes and hit the road to Sutherland not long afterwards. Well done to the Shire WYD team!! Tonight's Activ8 was fantastic, and I'm sure all your efforts will continue to bear a lot of wonderful fruit.

Speaking of fruit... I'm seriously craving mangoes. There are a stack of them in the kitchen, I'm sure... but I can't be bothered to go downstairs. As a result, my midnight snack is a quarter of a block of Cadbury chocolate. No wonder I never have energy... my diet is seriously lackingthe real nutrients. McDonald's... and chocolate. Although I should get points for my attempt to eat healthily tonight. I purchased food from a shop called "pure and healthy" - but for the record pure and healthy ain't exaclty the best tasting stuff so I'll stick to the chocolate.

I'm still toying with the holiday idea btw. I haven't got a clue where and when I want to go... before Christmas or after Christmas (really I'd love to get a plane ticket to a deserted island as an early Christmas gift...) but it doesn't seem do-able at all. And I haven't had time to do anything other than hold meetings. My calendar is consistently booked up with meeting after meeting. And when my friends call me, I'm always driving to a meeting or just walking in my bedroom door and collapsing after one. Not to say these meetings are bad - they're fantastic (especially the people I get to meet as a result of the meetings) - but they sure take the energy out of me...

Assuming I have energy, that is.

I've discovered a couple of things today:
- I like blogging because it means I have time to do something other than work. Blogging requires very little on my part, and also usually means I'm in bed and have had a chance to reflect or bludge. Even if it means for only five minutes...

- Writing things down ensures my memory of the event. Told Jonna today that I like looking back over happy moments and realising how much I've grown (or haven't - I'm still short and Asian), or how much something meant to me once. It's humbling to know that we're human, change, need reminding, and that it is only ever GOD who will remain eternal.

- Work is totally over-rated. We have this need to feel busy. I don't know if it's something about living in the city, or growing up in the Western world, but I don't understand why I feel guilty when I'm NOT doing something. Resting and resetting my brain makes me feel like I'm not doing the right thing, even though deep down inside I know I'm totally entitled to ME-time.

- Some people (namely my parents) have to get over the attitude that they've got the right to everything. I was reminded today (during John Finneran's talk at Activ8) that there are many countries in the world where pure, clean drinking water is a privilege, not a right. That for many people, education is a privilege, not a right. That we are stewards of what God has given us, not owners. When I'm given something (anything - a job, a car, a friend, a niece, an invitation, a responsibility), I don't sit there tallying up figures to what I was or wasn't entitled to... I just trust that God has given me all that I need, and keep on doing his work. It was slightly offending that they are still trying to convince me to get another job. This job/vocation/calling (whatever you want to call it) is God's gift to me... and I'd like to as much as I can with that gift, instead of returning it at the store and ungratefully asking for a better one.

*bleh* man I'm tired.

No comments: