Saturday, December 16, 2006

absolute nothing-ness

I've been driving around all week with a gazillion thoughts about what I could possibly blog about, but now that I'm finally in front of the computer, there's nothing that comes to mind. It's been an eventful but uneventful week at the same time.

Christmas is dawning (the 5am Novena Masses started this morning, which is a sure sign that Christmas is just a few days away)... but it doesn't feel like Christmas season at all. For one, it isn't even hot. Weather has been up and down and all over the place, and it felt more like a Winter evening last night when we stepped out of the car for the Society ball.

And speaking of the Society Ball... what a funny night. A couple of weeks ago I determinedly marched up and dawn the office hallways at the CYS house trying to get everyone to buy tickets. I have no idea why I was so determined to get everyone to go, but it seemed like a good idea at the time... and by 1am last night when we sleepily walked up Broadway to find my car, my feet were aching from all the dancing and my tummy was hurting from all the laughing.. and my head was kinda spinning after 5 glasses of champagne... so.. yes, we did have a GREAT time.

When Vincent, Edwin and I walked back up Broadway last night we came up with the conclusion that a "good time" shouldn't rely on the entertainment (or lack thereof), setting, weather, or even company. It's all a choice. And since it was the last time the remaining 4 members of team were going to hang out together all year, we were pretty determined to have a good time. So when the rain started falling into the forecourts at Notre Dame and we scrambled into the hall in order to remain dry, the night's fun had only just begun. (even for Joe, who'd already had 6 beers by that time.)

At one stage we had about ten people sitting on the floor with us singing Christmas carols. And considering that the real musicians (i.e. Edwin, Vincent, Tristan and John) were singing their heads off, we actually didn't sound half bad. In fact, they all did harmonies while the rest of us got the other 50 people who were watching us to join in the melodies of the favourites, like Away In a Manger. Eventually we got so good that we took an album shot. (see left) Hahaha... just kidding.

I was so exhausted that by the time we'd dropped off Vincent back at Clovelly and started heading down Cleveland St, I was fast asleep and had totally abandoned any responsibilities for keeping Edwin company during the drive home.

Much to my surprise, he still managed to pick me up for dawn Mass and we even got to the Church early this morning. If he makes it to all 9 of the Novena masses, I'll be impressed. I know how much that guy loves his sleep, and he already lost some this week when he accompanied to the airport at dawn, Wednesday morning. After the early morning drive he still managed to take me to breakfast at one of my favourite cafes, buy a new suit and drive me to Kiama the next day. This afternoon he came over to help fix our Internet connection. If that isn't love in action, then I don't know what is.

And so now it's 10:30-something and I've been doing nothing all day... well... nothing and cleaning out junk in my room to prepare it for my drum-kit, which I miss intensely. It totally spun me out when I realised 2007 is actually TWO WEEKS AWAY. Wondering what on earth I'll be doing for NY Eve - if anything. (Last year it was with Roanne, Ian, Nereus, Suarez, Aimelle... and several boxes of pop rocks - funny times!) Also wondering how my bank balance is, and if I could possibly afford a trip interstate before going back to work. Time away, doing silly holiday things... (I've got a desperate need to go travelling...)

On a much brighter note, I'm slightly less depressed than I was a week or so ago. One reason being I've had a week away from my office desk (I'm not counting my numerous visits to the office during this week), and I can finally think, breathe... and attempt settling into the real world.

Perhaps now I can make a real decision about what I really want to do with my life.

No comments: