Sunday, August 26, 2007

On the Vatican and it's treasures

In the Salesianum (an enormous conference centre just outside Rome). Today the weather cleared, and I woke up at 6am... freshened up, and broke into a sweat well before 8am.

But this morning was spectacular (as all mornings in Italy seem to be). As I got ready for a morning trip to the Vatican I could hear the sisters chanting morning prayers from the chapel in their general house. It was so angelic to hear them sing, and when I joined them for Mass that morning, it was as though I could feel God smiling down on each of his devoted daughters, pleased at their love for him, and the fervence in their prayers.

Because this keyboard is really hard to type on, here are the main points of this day's adventures:

- Special trip into the Vatican via the rear entrance and up to the roof of St Peter's.

- The basilica is almost empty at 8am... whch is a wonderfully refreshing change of atmosphere considering the claustrophobic crowds that converge into the sacred place by 9:30am. To wander around and stare at the walls without bumping into anyone made me feel like the luckiest, and most peaceful person in the world.

- The tomb of JPII is amazing because it is humble, simple, and it is surrounded by such peaceful but uplifting aura that it's as if his spirit lies in the walls surounding his tomb. To kneel in front his resting place and ask for his intercession for all the church's servants, WYD08, and the people I love was incredible.

- Peered into the tomb where St Peter's relics are kept. The man who was given the keys to heaven... All I can say is WOW. And grazie mille x infinity to Sr B & Sr Ewa who are the reason why I was able to go down there.

- Reconciliation in St Peter's Basilica. WOW again. Absolution in the building that opens its doors to thousands of pilgrims everyday? Cleansing for my soul in the home of the Church I love and serve so much?? AMAZING.

- I knelt by the Blessed Sacrament, and one of the first things that came to mind was the intricacy and the grandeur of the tabernacle, the ornate decorations all over the walls, and the paintings that evoked such a deep reverence: all of which paled to the beauty of the humble, simple piece of bread which stood only 2 metres away from my body. God's presence on Earth... the greatest treasure in all of the richness within the Vatican is not in anything material, but on the divine being able to touch the world we live in through a simple piece of bread. Jesus... I miss you.

- Sr B, if you read this... I am praying for you. I love you so much & want you to experience abundant happiness... but I know God our Father wants this even more than you & I put together: and his plans, when revealed, are always proof of this!

Anyone else reading this, please say a prayer for me and all the Australian delegates who venture to the Angora conference in Loreto, Italia, tomorrow.

Much love, Joy

No comments: