Saturday, September 11, 2004

unending flow of info

I'm sitting in the comp labs, not knowing what to feel.
After receiving my first HD last sem for my media essay on the Port Arthur Massacre in the mid 90s, I shudder to think how emotionally involved I got when I read story after story about a gunman who heartlessly slaughtered innocent people in a small, innocent town.

And here I am, trying to find information online about the Columbine School Massacre of 1999, and the school siege in Beslan, and my heart cries out with complete confusion and fury.

Page after page is printed, window after window is opened. Unending flows of information - about the human race and its ability to murder, slaughter and inflict pain on its own kind.

Where are we in all of this? Where are the Christians who are supposed to be setting the example of people with the right values.

Tomorrow we remember the anniversary of the September 11 attacks in America.

Day after day, the conflict grow. Moment after moment, more blood is shed.

And the irony of it all? Yesterdays IHS reading: "do good to those who hate yoiu... pray for those who mistreat you... give to everyone who asks of you and from the one who takes what is yours do not demand it back... love your enemies and do good to them, and lend expecting nothing back; then your reward will be great and you will be children of the Most High, for he himself is so kind to the ungrateful and wicked... Be merciful... stop judging... stop condemning... Forgive and you will be forgiven..." [Luke 6:27-37]

I pray, Lord... that I will never blame the pain in this world on any one person... but I am certain that I will not forgive myself if I don't do something to change how we are.

No comments: