Monday, January 16, 2006

currently studying: bachelor of domestic fine arts

I was away for five nights, but I missed my bed and the familiar scent of the clothes in my wardrobe. Right now I'm sitting at a very familiar desk, surrounded by a very familiar sight: text books, highlighters, an assortment of stationery items that are completely unnecessary. Ehpp... Joy is in Summer school!!

The funny thing is, while this is my FINAL subject for this part of my uni experience, it's the first subject I'm actually enjoying. Mind you, I might be speaking too soon, since it's only day one and I've only heard two lectures. But of those two lectures and the chapters I've read in my two text books, I've decided that this is God's grace at it's most humorous - he whispers to me my vocation at the end of my degree.

But it's not as if the learning will stop once I collect that blasted piece of paper that says "Bachelor of Media in Multimedia Production & Theory" (it's clear to anyone who knows me well that the title of my degree means very little in terms of what path I will actually end up choosing for the majority of my time in the work force). Today I learned one of life's most valuable lessons from my Dad: How to cook sinigang.

Brilliant teacher, my Dad. Very patient of my lack of domesticated kitchen skills. The only thing I've cooked at the Clovelly house so far is bacon, eggs, toast. (Does food preparation count? Because I seem to be the evil one who brings out the chocolate and Nutella in between training seminars because I'm feeling peckish...) So yeah... when I got home this weekend, I decided it was time to learn the art of feeding loved ones (since the CYS team seem to be brilliant cooks... darn it - they've set such a high benchmark!) I spend the time I was waiting for the pork to simmer marking the dishes I plan to cook this year. And I promise... by the end of it, I will master the kitchen, all its contents, and satisfying the people who plan to eat meals in it!

... Well... that's my prayer anyway.

*****


Currently drooling over these meals... meals I plan to master... one day:
- Fried/Grilled Steak with Chilli & Lime marinade (yeah yeah... so I'm allergic to chilli. I'm hoping I'll get over it)
- Chicken stir-fry with brocolli & capsicum
- Lemongrass & soy chicken with sugar snap peas
- Beef, shiitake mushroom & snow pea stir fry
- Steamed green vegies with toasted almonds
- Stir-fried baby corn with snow peas
- Sinigang
- Adobo

Til then... pray hard for me. I'll need it.

No comments: