Saturday, February 25, 2006

welcome Earthling!

She says: Dude! I'm in love!!
He says: Awww... you're Tita Joy!
She says: Ah! What? Tita?? ...
He says: Oh that's right, you're not Filo, you're Aussie. Aunty Joy. (pause) Aunt Joy. *cue sinister laugh* Man, you're old!
She says: Ah shut up. *smiles* Hmm.. I'm in love.

***

There's a photo of the cutest little baby girl on my phone. Her name is Caitlyn Julia, and she's the tiniest and cutest living creature I've laid eyes on, and she has totally been milking the privelege of being caressed in the arms of pah-lenty of Enriquez & dela Cruz family members since she was born on Monday. She has curious, sleepy eyes that stare at you in awe, and a smile that has earned many adoring kisses from our lil step-cousin AJ.

***

Dear Caitlyn,
Well... welcome to planet Earth! You arrived a little early, but that's ok. I don't know if the Internet will still be around when you grow up and blogging will probably be out of date, but I figure I should pay you a tribute since you are one ultra-special new-comer to the family.

So... the day you were born was exciting! I drove to uni (ehp... the firt time your Lolo let me drive the land cruiser around) and I got the news of you being born as I was parked outside a nursing home in Beecroft (hmm... is that ironic?). I told my two best mates first... and drove to the hospital to see you and your parents. Your Dad was totally in love with you, and your Mum was a natural at taking care of you from day one. You probably couldn't tell (and if you could, I'm sure you don't remember) but everyone who was hanging around Bed 10 was glowing with excitement at your arrival.

Btw, you're decision to get here on Monday was excellent timing. You're Lola was up in Sydney, instead of at work in Canberra, and I wasn't all the way at Clovelly. So luckily, we got to see you on the day you arrived - all pink, tiny, squashed up and ultra-adorable.

I believe your Lolo has saved the newspaper that we got on the day you were born. Wow... that's sweet!

Hmm... so what's to tell you about this planet? I should apologise... it's a bit messed up. A lot of others who arrived before you have managed to screw up a few things (morality, optimism, idealism, religion... just to mention a few) - but fear not! There are still many people who are working through the mess and trying to make things better for you, and your future brothers, sisters, cousins and what-not.

Plus, there are many AMAZING and very VERY cool things in this world that humanity can't get rid of - God has built them into creation, and hopefully nothing drastic will happen, because I'd love for you to experience these things with a lot anticipation and excitement. Rainbows, music, swimming in the ocean, bubble baths, bush walks, trampolines, chocolate ice cream, snow, baby rabbits and fresh cut grass are just a few of life's irreplaceable treasures. Remind me to show these things to you as you're growing up.

And just in case you forget (although I promised myself on the day you were born that I'd never LET you forget)... GOD LOVES YOU VERY MUCH! And that's why you're here... because you're an expression of God's love. Hehehe... your hair will grow, your baby fat will disappear, you'll grow up & out, you'll probably adopt a bit of an attitude... but God will love you all the same... and so will your Mum & Dad. Plus... you've got four doting aunties who are already totally in love with you... just in case you don't feel like talking to your parents about these things.

Don't forget the era of laptops, palm-tops, mobile mania, Robo-sapiens, cars with GPS, Jack Johnson, Kanye West, John Legend, and riduculous but entertaining genres of music, movies and reality TV.

This is the era where everyone is a cynic (or pretends they are) - everyone except the people who are at peace with the world, how it was created, and their place. I'm hoping you grow up to be one of those exceptions... an optimist, an adventurer, a girl who is quite happy to be discovering things that are both happy and disturbing, a girl who has her confidence in the God that created her, died for her and is totally, completely and thoroughly ready to love her from head to toe.

Undoubtedly, your time here will be an exciting one!

Love ya lots Caitlyn Julia (currently known as Caiju, Caju, Greedy Guts or Watermelon Baby).

Your pal, Joy (*ahem!* too young to be a Tita...) =p

No comments: