Tuesday, April 25, 2006

backpackers paradise

It's been over a week since I've touched the keyboard. I love being able to walk into a youth hostel, pay $2 and jump on the net for half an hour. Might mean nothing to most people, but for me (who happens to be in a different country right now) it's mighty exciting.
At the moment I'm checkin my mail, Boks and Eddoes are playing Connect Four in the lobby of Base Backpackers in Wellington, New Zealand. I love the feeling of being in a new city. This gives me faint memories of London and our arrival in Athens.

Have been in NZ for over a week now. Last week was pretty action packed - visited some geothermal rocks that were pumping out steam in Te Puia, went white water rafting, lugeing, Zorbing, bungee jumping... had a nice relaxing wkd in the Bay of Islands in a fancy shmancy studio unit and took a (cold) cruise up to Cape Brett... had a pretty dreary day exploring Auckland yesterday, and today was a 9 hour drive down through the North Island to Wellington. Edwin - what a hero. Drove down with only 3 hours sleep coz we dropped off Nez at Auckland airport at 6:30am.

Hmm.. so what now? I'm loving the laid back lifestuly of everyone I've met here. I'm one of those ppl who walk the streets of Sydney trying to get people to smile (man ppl in Australia seem so depressed) but here in NZ, everyone smiles at you - or smiles back when you acknowledge their presence on the road. Had an interesting conversation with Boks about how NZers have adopted (and overtaken the quality of) the calm, accepting and welcoming Australian culture. Come on Aussies? Where's the hospitality? Everyone's so nice to tourists here, but in Oz they're all uptight and critical. Gargh.

I miss home, but I'd seriously move to NZ. Wellington at night reminds me of our nights in Europe in August last year, and I've totally lived up the experience of living with Suarez, Nez and Eddoes for a week. Hahaha... and we saw about 30 Australian YFCers in Sky Tower yesterday, so it was like I didn't miss out on going to conference - we may as well have asked Brian Musa to pull out a guitar at the top of Auckland's tower and start a worship.

I've also realised the value of the PSP coz Boks had the live Jack Johnson concert on a UMD, so we drove down to Wellington listening to him live.... *sigh* Jack Johnson to me is what John Mayer is to my sis Roanne. Only Jack's better... (hehehehe... yeah what? You know it's true).

Man it's late. 11:43pm, but our hotel is just next door (again, somewhat fancy shmancy... with really funky carpet that vaguely reminds me of my Nagle uniform and Eddoes' chucks).

ryan, jonna, jane, roanne, rina, caitlyn, mark, jean, annabelle, mum, dad, anj, kamella, gerry, ian, sav, amardeep and cobes... missin you all at the moment.

Angela's graduating! Wow I'm mega proud of her!! YAY! *sigh* we're all growing up damn it. becoming police officers, travellers, mums, wives, dads, and the whole shebang... it's a bit crazy. And here I am - I haven't even applied for graduation. Hahaha... whoops.

Oh well - I've discovered a new mantra while I've been on this trip - TAKE IT AS IT COMES. Ehp... living life by the day baby...

See ya'll back in Syd soon! Only 6 days to go. Wellington, Hanmer Springs and Christchurch... watch out!

**PS sorry for the typos - Í've got 3minutes left.**

1 comment:

sweetbabboo said...

glad ur having a blast! remind me 2 pick u up...