Tuesday, April 04, 2006

can't be bothered to think of a title

Got home from class today and walked straight to the laundry to hang my clothes (hoping it doesn't rain tonight, coz what psycho - other than myself - hangs clothes at 9pm?). It was the class for term at the CAEC, and thank God it was because all I did for the last 15 minutes was scribble pictures of the lecturer all over the margin of the book. He's not the most lively fellow... but he's very interesting. It's just that... I'm absoluely knackered and have been for a quite some time now.

So today I breathe a sigh of relief that there is a pause in our schedule, and there's no major retreats happening for a while.

People ask me how ministry's going, and all I can do is beam and say "GREAT!" And it is great - but it's still tiring. And ministry of any sort will stay hard. But the satisfaction and fulfillment at the end of everyday is unbeatable... and that's why I'm glad I'm doing it.

Atm I'm in the offices listening to old tracks... like stuff from the Dawson's Creek album, and some John Butler Trio tunes. Atm John Legend is... well... a legend (current favourite is "So High") and I'm so totally grateful that Sarah and Joe appreciate Jack Johnson as much (if not more!) than I do.

Tonight was my first truly proud moment as a chef. For the first time, I cooked something that didn't taste funny, and people actually complemented with sincerity. No cheating either - it just goes to show that experimentation with cream, mushrooms, cheese, oregano and beef works. Sesame honey carrots and sugar peas are a good addition to such a dish. We left the house feeling very satisfied... or at least I did. And Joe paid a high complement as we were driving to Lidcombe, so I am feeling very loved right now.

I realised I haven't been blogging much because there's nothing to procrastinate from when you're a missionary. Usually my blogs (including this one!) are written because I'm procrastinating and because I want to use that time procrastinating trying to think of something insightful to contribute to the public sphere... but it's all usually random gibberish (hence the title).

Hmm... so what's been making me so tired lately? Well I went for a swim on Sunday - that was awesome fun. I accomplished my goal of 15 laps in half an hour (for many people that's not that big a deal, but a scrawny amateur swimmer like myself, I feel it deserves a mention!). That's five laps more than the week before, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Monday was one of the funnest days I've ever had!! It deserves to go down in the history books, and it's a shame I didn't take any photos... but it was such a perfect day - not a cloud in the sky! The team went to Centennial Park and had a sports day with the Trojan team and some of the CYS ex-teamies. Sports day for us means random innings of continuous cricket, a puffed round of ultimate frisbee, and then pausing the energy burning day with some lunch and a game of Cranium under the shade of a weirdly shaped tree that Joe insisted on climbing... until he freaked out after finding a spider web further up the branches.

Late afternoon is my favourite time of Autumn days. The shadows stretch along the ground and I love it. Joe and I kicked around a soccer ball for at least an hour, and talked about nothing and everything while the rest of the team played Cluedo. We didn't stop until our feet got sore -but it was worth it - I haven't had a full day of major physical activity in ages!

And then today came along and I was reminded of what it was like to be in year 9 at an all girls school.... (hmmm... no nostalgia... just cringe-feeling - year 9 wasn't the best of years) All I really recall from that year was a lot of petty fights, teenage angst, and bad attitude. Thank God we were over pouting at the camera. The girls I met today weren't much different to what my grade were... but the difference was we got to tell them that judging each other wasn't going to do anything. The greatest people are the ones that build people up - not tear them down. I'm really grateful I got to do a testimony about being able to see myself through God's eyes. Girls get fed so much crap about needing to prove themselves, but I know we don't have to. God made us the way he wanted us to... and that's we should walk around with pride, knowing we're clothed in his dignity.


So yeah... life in the CYS house has been mad fun, and I'm learning heaps (including how to play drums!) I am also learning and resdiscovering the greatness of seeing things through the eyes of a child. But more on that later... for now... I gotta look up NZ accomo.

Oh yeah... I'm going to New Zealand!! 13 days!!! YEAHH!!!!!!!

No comments: