Wednesday, November 03, 2004

daring to dream


Today I get to brag a bit about YFC Terra and how much these guys inspire me.

Right now it's Tuesday nyt and I just spent the last few hours with Aron [shhh... he was meant to be at household but he helped me do my website] teeheehee...

anywayz... just staying up doing nothing in particular... which is kinda annoying cz as all my buddies keep reminding me - we have exams coming up [eeeek!] and im envious of Eddoes coz he's only got his major assignments to hand in *lucky man!!* and then he's done for good... ;o) oh man i'm excited for ya...!
[oh yeh - HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSELL!]
Today I was thinking about wat it was like to be in highskool... and i remembered d terra kids and reminded them that it's important to acknowledge wat makes 'em special... and also to sometimes acknowledge their disappointments... hurts... and fears...bcoz all these things shape who we are.
*****
God fashions each of us exactly how he wants us. Today was reminded that each of us are unique - in simple, but amazing ways. And our Father has the ability to take each particle of us... and mould us into something brilliant, something with special qualities.
Inside our hearts are quite a number of things. We guard our hearts because inside them, we keep our disappointments, our hurts, and our fears.
We guard are hearts because inside them, we keep our hopes, our dreams and our goals.
This is all understandable, because it's when our hopes, dreams and goals are rejected or interrupted, that we get disappointed, hurt and afraid...
But this should never stop us from aiming high and giving our all.

I was walking around Westpoint today with a bunch of flowers and a Goldmark bag. The flowers were for my Dad, who wanted to visit Pinegrove [All Souls Day!] and the Goldmark pressie was for Rosell [sweeeet 16] ;o)
But as I sat down in front of Woolies, an old man walked up to me, with a cheeky, warm grin on his face. He held out his hand to shake mine, and happily greeted me "Happy Birthday!" I smiled at him and laughed, and told him it wasn't my birthday - all the gifts were other people.

He sat down next to me on a bench and proceeded to share with me that he was going to turn 90 on January 17 next year. Never had I met someone with so many years behind them with such a bright TWINKLE in their eye! He told me he was from Hungary, that he'd worked in a meat factory for 15 yrs just so he could pay off his house... how he had 2 children and 7 grand children... that he knew how to dance and that I should learn one day.

The most inspiring statement was him telling me that even though he was 90, he'd wake up really happy everyday. His wife kicked him out of the home he spent 15 years paying off, but he is still happy. He went to a doctor who diagnosed cancer in his face, but he is still happy. He had an operation in his leg, but he is still happy. He lives on his own, but he is still happy.
Not once did the sparkle in his smile leave him as he sat next to me, in one of the most amazing, engaging conversations I've ever had.

As I stood up to leave, I took one glance at this 89 yr old Hungarian man, his black baseball cap, blue shirt and checkered vest, and saw the face of Jesus. A man who had struggled, but smiled. A man who had been hurt, but also healed. A man who was lonely, but was still able to love. A man who wasn't afraid to walk up to a girl and greet her "Happy Birthday" - even though it wasn't my birthday!

Later that afternoon I got home and thought... "hmmm... gotta plan for the Terra Meeting!"
So... today's session was about DARING TO DREAM!
Like the man I met today, we too, have disappointments, hurts and fears... but we also hae hopes, goals and desires...
Like the man I met today, we too, will struggle - but we should learn to smile.
Like the man I met today, we too, will hurt - but we also have the power to heal.
Like the man I met today, we too, will be lonely - but we also have the ability to love.

Together with our disappointments, hurts and dreams, we have our hopes, goals and desires.

Always acknowledge these things - God will use all of them to make something beautiful!
Peace out and pray lots!

No comments: