Thursday, November 03, 2005

emotionally docile

Status report: In the dining room, home alone and appreciating this gorgeous Spring day by sporting black shorts and a green boob tube. Craving a Mango WEIS bar.
Breakfast Menu: Chocolate ice cream and pandesal. (very nutricious...)
Lunch Menu: Potato bake, Sour Cream & Onion Pringles, and Apple & Guava juice.

My hair is wirey - the way it would be if I'd spent a week at the pool, only I haven't been swimming in a public pool in over 8 months... so I dunno what the g-0 is there... And here i am; just sent at e-mail out RE: tomorrow's FFD which starts at 7pm (for those in the area: come join us; it'll be awesome!)

I'd just like to say: my life is testimony to answered prayers. When I blogged at uni yesterday, I wrote something along the lines of:

I was walking to the SAM shop this morning and realised it was a dangerous day to wear a skirt (the Spring-time breeze... hmmm...). So I heard a voice in my head say, "God... please clear the sky and make it sunny." And another voice replied and said; "Joy, I already got you out of bed... that's enough miracles for the day."


You know what happened? The sun came out... and it was brilliantly sunny. So sunny that I wanted to jump into the nearest fridge and snooze there for a few hours. But the point is: the sky was cleared and suddenly, it was sunny. What a miracle! =) Is God the BEST or what? I'm not saying the weather revolves around me... hahaha... although I did wake up this morning and felt like the sky was painted blue just for me. Because I love sky blue... and this is just one of those perfect ice-cream-weather days that would made for a perfect excuse to go for a drive to "Notting Hill" and watch the world pass by.
Strange because I was in such a weird mood yesterday... but today I'm ok. Today, I'm what Anthony would call "emotionally docile" - I'm not delirious and moody... which apparently I was during lunch yesterday. Maybe it was the girl-talk with Jonna that changed my perspective on things. Or maybe it was the steak and salad from the SAM bar. Or maybe it was the visit and the laughing, and the over-the-phone prayers last night.

Yesterday I realised that one of the friends I've been hanging with lately is lot funnier than I used to think he was - but maybe it's because my sister and I are so easily amused. =p It makes me smile when I think about how much one person can make me laugh... and how nice it is that are people in my life who always seem to bring me back to reality. And my reality isn't a sad or depressing reality... it's a faithful reality - which I quite like.

I've been re-reading books on my shelf instead of reading the new ones that I've bought. Yesterday morning, I came across a quote from St Andrew that struck me again (I say "again" because it obviously struck me the first time, since I highlighted it) -

"I would not have preached about the glory of the cross of Jesus if I were also not willing to die upon it!"

I thought that was beautiful and powerful stuff - he had said it in reply to a governor who threatened to crucify him if he didn't stop preaching the message of Jesus. I think it's strange that we so often look for something better than what we have, or try to be better than what we are - yet we're adamant about holding onto everything we have or are. I realised the only way to experience the best is to give up the worst - to let go of our own lives and adopt that of Another, more beautiful, more exciting and more fulfilling...

I'll admit that sacrifice is not the most exciting of things to experience - we're not taught to delay gratification very often in today's "give-it-to-me-baby" culture - but I still believe that it's important to do things right. To do things in the best way we know how.

"If you really desire to one day discover the 'beautiful side of love,' you have to first walk through the 'painful side.' Just like pouring concrete is not the exciting part of building a house yet it is the essential part, the same is true with building a magnificent romance. Laying your life down is not the fun and enjoyable part: it's the essential part."

No comments: