Thursday, November 24, 2005

this moment's threshold

thresh·old (thrĕsh'ōld', -hōld'):
  1. A piece of wood or stone placed beneath a door; a doorsill.
  2. An entrance or a doorway.
  3. The place or point of beginning; the outset.
  4. The point that must be exceeded to begin producing a given effect or result or to elicit a response: a low threshold of pain.

*****

*#!%&!!! The noodles had chilli in it. And now I'm sitting on my bed with an awful feeling in my mouth and my tummy... I swear I'm allergic to that stuff - nothing I've ever eaten makes me feel this swollen and headachey.

Right now I'm listening to "Soul to Soul" by Nu Flavour. This, without a doubt, has to be one of my all-time favourite songs, and has been since I discovered it in 8th grade. It's one of those songs that I put on repeat and lie in bed listening to when I feel the need to unwind and find my own little place to be at peace.

Tonight I went to confession, which is always the best way to start new and gain a good perspective on where I'm going and what I'm doing with my life. I've been thinking a lot about next year... about the decisions I've made about what I'll be doing next year... and I figure it's about time I take the leap and leave the past behind me, and let God take hold of all that's in the future.

I hope people understand that that is what I'm doing... and that's why I've chosen to let go of everything stable... because I know the only way I can function is by giving God the reigns. I know that doing so involves a lot of risks. I don't know if I'll make it the entire 2006 without my closest friends around me. I don't know if I'm cut out for hard-core full-time service. I don't know if I'll get along with all my team-mates. I don't know if the things I put on hold today will be around to pick up again 365 days later. But one thing I do know is that nothing is ever certain - it never has been and never will be. The only exception to that rule is God - who is the only one I can trust... and that's why I'm putting my dreams and desires in his hands.

I'm well aware of what I'm risking. But I do believe that the biggest risk is to take no risk at all... and despite all the rational arguments about why I shouldn't give up what I'm about to give up, I'm going to do it anyway - with or without the support of the people I love the most.


There is no risk when one risks everything for God...


On Sunday morning I woke up thinking about the people and the places that I won't get to see everyday. And I thought about the changes that will challenge me... about the homesickness, about the things I will enviously miss out on... about the adventures that won't include me.. about the memories that will be written without me... and I thought that I could start regretting the decison (because there are a few people who still don't understand why I'm doing this and have tried to make me regret...) but then I prayed... and God put his arms around my fearful heart... and brought it back to His peace that I am certain will carry me through any trials that will come my way. I don't regret, and I won't regret because I know God will be scripting His own adventure in my life, He'll be creating a new home for me, and my dreams will soon be a reality of unforgettable memories... 2006 will flash by like a blink of an eye, just as 2005 has.

It is one month until Christmas day.


A piece of newspaper, at my feet
We go blowing down the street
Got our stories, old and new
Need someone to tell them to

We don't have to see eye to eye
Or face to face
I'm not asking for miracles
No saving grace
And I don't need another heart
To have and hold
All I want is a friend that I can talk to
Soul to soul...

Like an old book on a shelf
Tired of talking to myself
I'm wishin somebody passing by
Would pick me up and look inside...

...I just call and there you are
Shining on me like a star... shining down
Smile in my direction in the night
And I'll feel your light...
[soul to soul - nu flavour]

No comments: